Monday, February 28, 2011

Right! Enough talking...time for some doing...

There hasn't been a lot of THIS happening lately.  So high time I dusted of the pencils, brushes and paints. I am not in the mood for bright colours at the moment...everything is too bright in this weather.  I want something more subtle, some softer colours...perhaps I can lure Autumn in with gentle hues and delicate pen strokes.  And acrylics are hopeless in this kind of heat, the paint dries on the palette before I can even use it.  So a bit of ink and wash sort of stuff, making it up as I go along so I don't have a clue how it will look when it's finished.  An illustration for my little song 'Through the Window.'



And this passed by this afternoon.  It made a lot of noise, grumbling and harrumphing and promising much, but I tried not to get my hopes up.  And then surprise of surprises, it actually did rain.  I stood out in it for 10 minutes and got (sort of) wet, but everything is so hot and dry it seemed to evaporate almost instantly.  The pavement was hot and wet instead of just hot, for about 5 minutes, then the heat in it dried it off.  And I dried off too in about 15 minutes.  It has gone off on its grumbling way, still making a lot of noise but it's all bark and no bite.  Autumn officially starts tomorrow.  I wonder when it will ACTUALLY start?



13 comments:

Lunar Hine said...

I'm so eager to get my drawing skills up to your standard. I sketched my husband last night and the result was not flattering!
We'll have some of your sunshine and you can have some of our rain

Valerianna said...

Nice.... I like even the simple line drawing, I've been doing some quick tree sketches in my journal, playing with the form of trees, can't seem to resist adding some value, but I think the bare lines are also something whole.

WOL said...

If you figure out what gets rain (song, dance, magical spell, any of the above), please let me know! We are so dry here (17% humdity -- up from 13% yesterday!). We are under a red flag -- High danger of wildfires, and yesterday we had wind with gusts up to 65 mph/107 kph and blowing dust -- the skies were actually brown. We are finally beginning to warm up though.

Lovely sketch. Do let us see it when it's done.

Trace Willans said...

And this is why I no longer live in Perth, even though both my kids are still there. Bought land down south where it is cooler, but at the moment am all the way at the other side in Tassie. Good to find a blogger from home though.

Amanda said...

Beautiful artwork! I have a brother that lives in Perth. I'll hopefully get there one day! X

Terri Windling said...

Christina, is that beautiful little pink building your studio...? The lovely bright colors remind me of Tucson.

I wish I could send you some Dartmoor rain in exchange for your sun. I'm a desert rat at heart.

A mermaid in the attic said...

I would very gladly trade some sunshine for rain Lunar! If I find a magic spell that works, I'll be sure to let you know WOL...bushfires are a constant danger here too, over 70 homes in the Perth Hills were lost just recently. I'm not sure how this drawing will end up, it's already changed quite a lot, I really am making it up as I go along, I don't have a clear idea of how it will look in my head at all. Terri, it's actually my girls' cubby house (only just big enough for me to stand up in!), my youngest wanted Fluoro pink but I managed to steer her away from that to a colour that matched the beautiful bougainvillea growing behind. My studio is a mezzanine floor over our family room. But I adore bright colours, so it's painted purple and dark aqua!

Nomi McLeod said...

I love your flying boats! I'm sure I used to have dreams about such things when I was little...Looking forward to seeing this new sketch finished.

WOL said...

BTW See http://grundlepod.blogspot.com/2011/03/delightful-discovery.html

You just been awarded!

herhimnbryn said...

Hi Mermaid,
I haven't been around for ages and am just catching up!

That storm really hit us in our little bit of the Hills. We have been without power for 2.5 days and my poor hound did not like the thunder and torrential rain!

Now the garden is covered in tree boughs and all is washed and clean!

I am 'doing' too in my studio, when the heat allows me.

Ruthie Redden said...

I cant wait to see waht you do with this Christina. It looks good, there is something fascinating to me to where a drawing takes the creator if just left to its own devices. I often dont plan out mine but let my pens wander of their own accord. We have had far too much rain here & everything is grey & dull, wishing for sunshine, is that a case of the grass is always greener lol x x

mirsini's creations said...

Hi! i just wanna tell you how much i like your art work! You are very very talented and magic! I wish you have some rain there cause you really need it as i can read!
Have a nice weekend! Bye! :)

romany soup said...

Hello, I'm so happy to have found your blog, your paintings are beautiful, so magical. Thankyou for being such an inspiration! x

Related Posts with Thumbnails