Saturday, August 21, 2010

Green trees and pendants...

So many lovely comments about my little Olive wood hanger/pendants, thank you all!  As several people have enquired, yes, I'm intending to put them into my Etsy shop, I just haven't got to it yet.  But I must tell you that the Green Tree with the gold background and glass leaves (above) has been sold, and is already on its way to its new owner.  But I have more on my work table (which is currently the dining room table as there's not enough room in my overcrowded studio at the moment), and I think green things are calling me, so there will be more curly trees and leaves to come, similar but not the same of course.  This one sold for $50AUD, which is about $45USD at the moment I think.  They may not necessarily all be that price, it really depends on how fiddly and detailed they are.  I'm using acrylic paints on them, but am experimenting with finishes.  This pendant has a hard-wearing acrylic resin finish, but the little nasturtium leaf and my pyrographic 'doodle' featured a few days ago are finished with a natural furniture polish.  I will post new ones here as I finish them, so if you do see one you want, let me know rather than waiting for me to put it on Etsy.  I'm a bit scatterbrained at the moment, and it might be a while before I get around to it.  I can always create a 'reserved' Etsy listing for you to make payment etc easier, or use PayPal direct.

I have been thinking that I need to draw away from 'art as a business' for a while.  Not to give up, but rather to regroup.  It's been a very slow and rather disappointing year in that respect (for a lot of people I suspect), and I feel I've lost a little of my creative 'mojo'.  And at the moment there's so much work to be done at home, the garden is crying out for attention, there are walls to be painted and window frames to be oiled, and we have set ourselves the goal of having it all ready to put on the market in a year's time, in anticipation of a new adventure in our lives, a move to the country.  So I think art might go back to being a hobby for a while, to make some small and beautiful things for the sheer joy of it.  And, of course, to go on blogging about them!

There are other things too needing my energy.  A decision to be made.  A hard one.  Something that over the years has caused me worry as I've stood on the sidelines knowing I can't do anything, and I finally realised is never going to change.  But if I step away and let it go, I will lose something very precious.  I need some space to think about it.  Some time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish you well in a time of change and challenge. To 'make some small and beautiful things for the sheer joy of it' sounds like the beginning of a journey with all kinds of possibities, and I look forward to sharing the quest... go well

Valerianna said...

Gosh, there are a lot of us these last few weeks blogging about the desire to CREATE feeling challenged by the art-biz thing. Must be something shifting in our consciousness.... I know I need mythic immersion right now, but I am also in much need of $$$$$!

I love Joan's comment above - it does "sound like the beginning of a journey with all kinds of possibilities". The healing power of art for art's sake is unmeasurable in my opinion, and can move into profound dialog with the mystery. And I hear the stirrings in your soul for that deep attention. Blessings and look forward to witnessing.

Tammie Lee said...

ah a move to the country, such a wonderful idea. I sense it is good to let go of things once in a while, the artist in you will never leave... she will be reborn.

Ruthie Redden said...

I do love your pendant! beautiful. There must be something in the air, i was talking to my o just this morn about how i feel that making my art just for me & for giving is a thing i need to focus on just now. i have felt all my creativity slowly dripping away & my imagination seizing up making, as you say "art for business". Life has felt like it has blown past me this year & i feel a need to stand still for a while. i do hope that you find the space you need x x

Related Posts with Thumbnails