Sunday, January 3, 2010

How to feel as excited as a small child at Christmas!


Well, that's how I feel at the moment, because I WON this competition over at the lovely Fairy Tale Cupboard (thanks Claire), and my prize, soon to be winging it's way out to big, hot old Australia, is this gorgeous book by the incredible Oona Patterson!  WOW...I don't think I've ever won anything before...oh, wait, I won a video of Live Under a Blood Red Sky: U2 at Red Rocks when I was 18.  But that's so many years ago it hardly counts!  I've just been having a bit of an online peruse of Oona's art with my girls, and they can hardly wait to read it too.  Today's photo is a sample of her work; amazingly detailed, teeny, tiny cutouts from the pages of books.  The figure of Ream herself (the eponymous heroine of the story), seen in the sailing boat, is only 1.5cm high.  Just marvelous!

6 comments:

April Jarocka said...

congrats and Happy New Year...I won three competitions in my time, but the prizes were mundane...your new book looks amazing. Enjoy!

A mermaid in the attic said...

Thanks April, and happy new year too. I was pretty excited about the video too, all those years ago (I was a big fan), but I'm definitely looking forward to sitting down with an iced tea and having a long slow look at all the amazing detail!

Wayward Harper said...

oooh congrats! that's so fun! I never seen her work before, it's incredible. have fun :)

A mermaid in the attic said...

Thanks Nadia...yes it's incredible isn't it...I'd go cross-eyed working at that scale!

Jess said...

Hi Christina, I've just discovered your lovely blog, drawn to it by the title! I've just visited the most amazing shop in Lyme Regis (UK...sorry!) called The Mermaid, filled with mermaids, I was in heaven! Happy new year to you, I look forward to many more visits here. :)

Jo Potter said...

Hi Christina,
Happy New Year and congratulations on winning this amazing book. The detail is incredible... I don't win things very often either!:(
Lovely to see you again and very best wishes for 2010.:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails